Academic Achievement/College & Career Readiness
Transform teaching and learning to prepare students for success in post-secondary education and careers.
- Fully integrate formative assessments to inform instruction, including small-group learning.
- Use growth assessments to measure student progress, accommodate student goal setting and differentiate instruction.
- Implement developmentally appropriate literacy instruction.
- Expand opportunities for students to participate in authentic workplace experiences.
- Implement collaborative teaching structures to inform best instructional practices.
- Integrate and leverage technology as an instructional resource and assessment tool.
- Foster a positive, student-centered learning environment where all children are involved in goal-setting and decision-making to support their learning.
- Deliver high-quality professional learning to build staff capacity and elevate instruction.
- Promote positive relationships and provide a student-centered environment to meet students at their level and challenge them to reach their highest potential.
Indicators of progress may include number/percent of students who reach Standards of Learning (SOL) benchmarks, performance on formative assessments, Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and American College Testing (ACT) measures and Advanced Placement testing measurements.
Foster a learning environment that respects the diversity of students and provides targeted, equitable opportunities for success.
- Use the Multi-Tier System of Supports (MTSS) framework to provide interventions and supports appropriate for each student.
- Promote equitable access for underrepresented student populations to rigorous academic courses/programming.
- Ensure all eligible students have access to high-quality preschool education that focuses on the whole child and fosters kindergarten readiness.
- Develop and implement expectations for a positive, relationship-focused classroom learning environment where student differences are appreciated and celebrated.
- Address inequities in facilities and educational programming.
- Implement effective transition programs and activities designed to build a sense of belonging, social connection, and academic engagement.
Indicators of progress may include reduction of disproportionality in student discipline incidents, levels of MTSS implementation, narrowing of SOL achievement gaps across all subgroups and enrollment of students from underrepresented groups in rigorous academic courses.
Communication & Engagement
Cultivate a culture of open and effective communication to inform and engage all stakeholders.
- Develop comprehensive internal and external communications and engagement plans.
- Foster a welcoming culture for internal and external customers by providing ongoing training and resources to schools and departments.
- Expand communication tools and resources to more fully engage culturally and linguistically diverse populations.
- Engage the community by strengthening the division’s partnership and volunteer programs.
- Engage parents more fully through targeted programming and the expansion of involvement opportunities.
Indicators of progress may include improvement on customer service benchmark measures, communication program effectiveness and the number of business/community partnerships and volunteers supporting WJCC Schools.
Safety & Security
Ensure a fully-integrated approach to safety and security that encompasses both the physical environment and the social/emotional needs of students.
- Provide students with school-based resources and supports to enhance the development of their social, emotional and mental health.
- Develop and implement plans for ongoing assessment and improvement of facility, transportation and campus security.
- Provide training in the area of safety and security for employee groups appropriate for their roles and responsibilities.
- Invest in a robust technological infrastructure that protects against cyber threats and ensures equitable access for students and staff.
- Build a positive and inclusive school culture that inspires all students to participate fully in their school experience.
- Strengthen a culture of health that promotes and protects personal well-being and the ability to learn by supporting nutrition education, healthy eating and physical activity
Indicators of progress may include the number of students involved in extracurricular activities and community service, discipline data and improvements in physical security of buildings and technology security.
Human Capital & Positive Culture
Recruit high-quality staff and retain the division’s exemplary workforce by creating an environment where transparency and trust are the norm.
- Strengthen recruitment to attract highly-qualifi ed and diverse applicant pools.
- Develop a five-year total compensation strategy where WJCC Schools leads the region in employee salaries and benefits.
- Implement a leadership development and mentoring program.
- Foster a workplace culture where employees feel valued, well-informed and supported professionally.
- Provide professional growth opportunities for all categories of employees.
Indicators of progress may include staff retention rates, staff recruitment outcomes, participation in professional growth activities and ranking compared to peer divisions in total compensation.
Organizational Efficiency & Effectiveness
Optimize division effectiveness and efficiency by establishing and strengthening processes and systems.
- Implement a strategic management system that provides consistent access to data for use in decision making.
- Establish a systematic process for change management that includes all stakeholders.
- Develop and implement standard protocols for the use of data to make decisions across all schools and departments.
- Analyze and improve the effectiveness of business and operations processes.
- Ensure alignment of budget development with strategic initiatives
Indicators of progress may include time and money saved through improved business processes, number of maintenance requests completed and data related to transportation services.